Transfiguration Monastery

Манастири Велико Търново

The Transfiguration Monastery is the biggest monastery of those located in the Veliko Turnovo region and the fourth in Bulgaria. It is a precious architectural and artistic monument in Bulgaria. It was established during the time of the Second Bulgarian Empire in 13-14th century. Originally the monastery was a cloister of the Vatopedi monastery on Mount Athos, but it acquired autonomy in 1360. The emergence of the Transfiguration Monastery is related to the charity of Ivan Alexander’s second wife Sarah-Theodora and their son Ivan Shishman since they donated generous funds for its reconstruction and renovation. For that reason the monastery is also called the monastery Sarah’s or Shishman’s monastery. The shrine played an important role for the spiritual life of the Bulgarian capital city in the 14th century.